Some tips needed please

Post here if you have been practising for a while, and you are starting to get your head around what this is all about. Also post here if you are a long-term practitioner with something to say about the practice.
hammill1969

AN interesting comment on an above post about focusing on a mantra.I use this technique silently repeating a mantra and get a deep state of calmness from it. I didnt think that this was mindfulness its the technique they use in transcendental meditation. It sure works for me. YOu can use so hum mantra dont focus on the breath just the mantra
piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

I practice soham breath or nadi shodana before meditation.I find it very calming.
I recently read a book by the dalai lama - beyond religion- in which he says he settles into meditation by practicing a breathing meditation below settling into his practice.
I've only used a manta in yoga class.
My practice is mindfulness or metta, self compassion
hammill1969

How do you do the so hum pied.do you do it combining it with the breath or without. Is it silent. Christian monastic tradition use the maranatha mantra, hindus have lots of different mantras including om which buddhists also use. Its a spiritual experience for a lot of people but i'm not sure if its just psychological.
piedwagtail91
Practice Mindfulness Since: 0- 3-2011

I'm not sure if we're straying from mbct here but I combine it with the breath silently.
My yoga teacher have me a cd with the soundtrack on, it's also on YouTube, which I've edited to 5 minutes of soham. I have a 5 minutes to time nadi shodana.
I've built all lengths of silent timers up from 5 minutes to 45 minutes so that I can settle into a practice for my avaliable time.
All start and end with cymbals, all will have the soham or nadi shodana at the start.
Its not for everyone but I feel that I may as well be calm from the breathing before I begin the mindfulness part of the meditation.
When we practice as a group we just practice mindfulness ,
hammill1969

It might not be mbct but the buddha taught its important to be relaxed before metta meditation so maybe it isnt.Also focusing on a mantra non judgementally could be mindfulness.
jdandre

Hi everyone. I believe you are referencing my post in regard to the mantra.

It was in my comment about returning your attention to an anchor - the most common anchors being the breath and a mantra (when meditating) and the present moment (when not meditating).
I didnt think that this was mindfulness its the technique they use in transcendental meditation.
Yes, mantra meditation existed before TM became popular, and it can definitely be used in mindfulness! It actually holds a few advantages for a beginner.

First, a little about my background: I've been meditating for over 20 years, and teaching for around 13. I was first taught using a mantra as my anchor, then the breath, and I use both at varying times (not at the same time though!).

In my teaching and online course, I exclusively use a mantra. But, if students want to substitute the breath I usually don't object provided they have a full understanding of the challenges (more on that in a minute).

Second, it's important to point out that the goal of meditating isn't to focus on the anchor at all costs. The anchor is what you return to when you notice your attention has wandered and you become aware of thoughts. I point this out because people tend to become "obsessed" with the anchor and go through their sessions with this burning intensity to never lose it.

Attachment anyone?

Third, the breath. It's a great anchor because it's both something you can control and something that happens without your control. As your meditation practice matures, this has the ability to provide critical insights (some of which "casual meditators" may not care about - and that's absolutely fine).

What makes it great also makes it challenging for beginners, though. Most will get caught up in trying to control (or, NOT control) their breath. Instead of being an anchor they return to, it becomes a problem for the mind to cling to and generate thoughts, emotions, urges, and desires about!

Which, again, makes it useful as your practice matures!

Fourth, a mantra. It does present the same challenges as the breath, but they tend to be more subtle. Sure, you can try to speed it up and slow it down - but you normally don't have an anxiety attack from thinking you are doing it wrong. If you're a teacher, this is a problem you'll run into with students - people panic about their breath, their hearts start racing, etc.

The key characteristics of a useful mantra are simplicity and "no meaning." People often make the mistake of selecting something that has special significance to them, but this complicates your practice as it gives rise to thoughts and emotions resulting from your attachment to the mantra itself.

We use "lahm," which was selected in a pretty extensive (though non-scientific) study about six years ago. It sounds as if it rhymes with the word "Mom" - at least how we pronounce it in the U.S.

There are a lot of other popular mantras out there - the most recognizable being om/aum.

I hope this helps - sorry it got a bit long!

:D
hammill1969

Thanks for that interesting reply Andre about mantra. The book i have read on mindfulness by Mark Williams Peace in a frantic world doesn't really go into using mantra as an anchor. In my case the breath works for me when i'm following a guided meditation but not when i'm in a stressful situation. I tend to get obsessive on the breath and it causes panic. The idea of using a mantra as an anchor I think will work for me. The fact it doesn't mean anything means it is not generating thoughts. I am really pleased that it can be used for mindfulness as it works for me.

When you use the mantra as an anchor should it be said silently in the mind just once or can you use it several times,for several minutes?